The Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Sailing
Sailing is often regarded as a hobby more than a sport. This is mainly because its health benefits are typically unknown. Not many people know that sailing could be a great addition to your fitness regimen while having fun under the sun. Here are a couple of health benefits that you can enjoy from setting sail.
1. Muscle strength/Endurance – The constant line pulling, sail hosting and other activities involved in sailing promotes muscle, shoulder and back strength.
2. Cardiovascular fitness – Sports like tennis and baseball can reduce the risk of hypertension, obesity and other heart illness. Sailing, like these intense sports can also improve your cardiovascular health. This is the result of the large oxygen uptake that you get from engaging in such activities.
3. Overall wellness – Being out on the water puts you on a good mood not just because of the calmness of the water but because of the saltiness of the air. The varying moods of a person are largely affected by a body chemical called serotonin. The saltiness of the sea air is composed of charged ions that helps in the body’s oxygen absorption which in turn results to a more balanced levels of serotonin. The more balanced your body’s serotonin levels are, the happier you’re going to be.
4. Relaxation – The swooshing and splashing of water, the rhythmic movement of the yacht and the sound of the wind in the sails can all affect brainwave patterns. This in turn relaxes and soothes a busy and highly stressed out mind.
5. Agility – The various tasks associated with sailing also helps improve your flexibility and agility. Activities like pulling lines or hosting sails can significantly improve your hand and eye coordination skills as well as your motor skills.
6. Concentration – Having the ultimate goal of staying safe while sailing increases a person’s ability to focus which is an important skill for many chronic multi-taskers.
7. Communication – The captain and his crew must act as a unified unit in order to successfully maneuver a boat. To do this, they need to know how to communicate effectively even through non-verbal ways. You will also gain a strong feeling of cooperation and teamwork when you go on a bareboat charter Whitsundays . Everyone on the boat has an important role to play to keep it afloat.
This list proves that sailing is not only an exciting and fun activity. It also offers a lot of positive benefits to your mental and physical health. So, the next time you go sailing, you should know that it will be good for you.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.